Apply to
Chinese Universities
Applicant for Residence Permit
This article "Applicant for Residence Permit" shows you all related information, tips, and step by step guide about Applicant for Residence Permit, check "Applicant for Residence Permit" and learn tips about Applicant for Residence Permit on CUCAS!

The "Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China" came into force as of July 1, 2013.

Foreign students should pay attention to the following changes:

  • Applicant for Residence Permit must make application IN PERSON at the police station EVERY TIME when applying for the Residence Permit.
  • Calculation of the Residence Permit: Applicant must make application 30 days before the expiry date (i.e. make application about 40 days with your university before the expiry date). Even if you apply much earlier than the expiry date, the police office will only calculate the new expiry date according to the current expiry date. (This is very beneficial to international students.)
  • The Visa/Residence Permit of Study Type: the minimum duration applied for is 180 days (half a year). You may apply for once a short time visa (S Type Visa; less than 180 days) when you finish your study here and go back to your home country.
  • Only X1 Visa is eligible to apply for a student's Residence Permit. Other types of visa are not applicable in this case. X2 Visa is used for leaving China only; cannot be converted into other types of visa.
  • No matter any of your relatives comes to visit you, you should report to the Police Station; if there is no significant/serious reason of leaving China, no report is required when your relative leaves China. Dropping-out or quitting-school students must report to the Police Station when leaving China.
  • Part-time Work: foreign students are permitted to do part-time work in China now. The university should issue a Consent Letter; the hiring unit/company should issue a Certification; the police station will then mark on your visa "Part-time-work; Part-time-study". The hiring unit/company cannot be changed; expect high amount of fine if you violate this law.
  • Illegal Residence: you will be charged RMB¥500/day, maximum RMB¥10,000 of charge, or, more than 5 days but less than 15 days of detention.
  • The Visa & Residence Permit processing time is longer now. You will probably get your passport again 20 days after you make the application.

Related Articles               Related Questions

Online Consulting-

Leave a message and reply you soon!

Leave Message & Will Reply Soon